The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) published its 2023 Global 2000 list and the University of Cape Town (UCT), which continues to be the greatest university in Africa, is ranked at 267, up three spots from previous year.
CWUR releases the largest academic ranking of global universities. Out of the 20,531 institutions assessed, only the top 2,000 received a ranking, which places UCT in the top 1.4% of universities globally.
UCT has once again proven its excellence in higher education by performing well in this prestigious world rankings. As a leading research-intensive institution, UCT will continue to strive for excellence and to remain at the forefront of cutting-edge discovery and impact.
This ranking uses seven indicators grouped into four areas:
- Education, measured by the number of a university’s alumni who have earned significant academic achievements, relative to its size (25%).
- Employability, measured by the number of its alumni who have held top executive positions in the largest global companies, relative to the size of the university (25%).
- Faculty, measured by the number of faculty members who have received top academic distinctions (10%).
- The research component, which counts for 40%, includes the following criteria:
- Research output, measured by the total number of research articles (10%)
- High-quality publications, measured by the number of research articles appearing in top-tier journals (10%)
- Influence, measured by the number of research articles published in highly-influential journals (10%)
- Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research articles (10%).
UCT’s highest ranked indicator is quality of education, which at 182nd position was down four places from last year. The alumni employment indicator (placed 224th) performed well and continued its climb, moving up 13 places compared to last year, which was also up 23 places on the previous year. The research performance indicator (ranked 245th) improved by five places compared to last year.
View the CWUR 2023 Global 2000 list.
For more articles please visit the following link: Articles – NGOConnectSA
Picture courtesy pexels: https://www.pexels.com/search/university/