Today, the 31st of May 2021 marks the 430th day of South Africa being on Lockdown due to the Covid19 Pandemic. On the 30th of May 2021, President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the nation and announced that South Africa will be moving to adjusted lockdown level 2 as of Monday the 31st of May 2021. This is due to an increase in Covid19 cases and South Africa seeing a third wave of infections.
When announcing the adjusted lockdown level, the President said Gauteng, Free State, North West and Northern Cape were in a third wave. It is, especially now, important for us to delay the third wave and control the spread of the virus as the vaccine is being rolled out.
Here is a summary of the adjusted lockdown level 2 regulations:
- Indoor gatherings have been reduced from 250 to 100 or 50% of venue capacity if venue cannot hold 100 people under lockdown regulations.
- Outdoor gatherings have been reduced from 500 to 250.
- Curfew is from 23:00 to 04:00.
- Funerals are up to 100 people.
- Night vigils and after parties are still prohibited.
- Restaurants, bars and gyms will close at 22:00 to allow workers to travel home before curfew.
“It remains mandatory for every person to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times. It should be remembered, it is a criminal offence not to do so,” said President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Current Status of Cases of COVID-19 in South Africa
Vaccinations: 968 319
Total Cases: 1 662 825
- 3 755 New Cases
- 1 556 874 Full recoveries (Confirmed Negative)
- 56 439 Deaths
For latest news on COVID-19 click here