Website The Nal'ibali Trust
Yizani Sifunde Consortium – Literacy Mentor
We are looking for a motivated individual with a passion for literacy to lead the Yizani Sifunde Consortium in East London
Yizani Sifunde Consortium is a Liberty funded project made up of three organisations (Nal’ibali, Wordworks and Book Dash) that seek to address some of the literacy development challenges facing the Eastern Cape.
The Literacy Mentor is responsible for coordinating all the activities of the Yizani Sifunde Consortium Queenstown. He/she will work with a team of fieldworkers (Story Sparkers) in providing leadership and oversight to partners and community-based volunteers implementing the reading-for-enjoyment campaign in communities across Queenstown. The incumbent will also be responsible for ensuring that project goals are achieved and that communities are inspired to build and sustain a culture of reading-for-enjoyment.
Key responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator, interact with partners and stakeholders to identify needs and requirements for project implementation.
- Liaison and attend provincial / district / partner meetings.
- Collate and submit monthly workplans.
- Provide support to Story Sparkers and monitor performance.
- Ensure that the project team follows best practices and standard operating procedures for the project.
- Provide regular updates on project status and concerns, and where necessary, troubleshoot in consultation with the Project Coordinator.
- Ensure that all project-related documents are properly updated and maintained.
- Plan, coordinate and assist in conducting training sessions.
- Assist in the identification of any implementation problems / bottlenecks and escalate them through relevant channels and develop remedial actions in collaboration with local key stakeholders or Project Coordinator.
- Conduct regular supervisory site visits.
- Identify and document lessons learned and use existing platforms to disseminate lessons learned.
- A self-starter
- 3-5 years’ field work experience in the NGO sector
- Relevant degree or diploma advantageous
- Sound knowledge on literacy development and/or the education sector in South Africa
- Experience in managing and mentoring dispersed teams
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and one other South African official language
- Good MS Office skills and ability to work on different Microsoft packages
- Driver’s license (essential) and willingness to travel essential
- Team management experience
- Project management
- Good interpersonal skills
Should you meet the above requirements please forward a motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and surname, position title on the subject line (e.g. Joe Soap: Literacy Mentor – East London).
Closing date: Friday, 3 December 2021
Please note that feedback will be only provided to shortlisted candidates.
For more information, please have a look at our website www.nalibali.org.
If you do not hear from us by 17 December 2021, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Please note: By applying for this role and supplying the necessary details, you hereby grant us permission to apply for the necessary background and criminal checks. This will be done in a confidential manner, and solely for the purposes of verification.